Thursday, March 18, 2010

Interview for GSU

I think my GSU interview was so traumatizing, I decided not to even blog about it. (It was on 2/26) I went, I saw, I sooo did not conquer. I felt unprepared for the essay, I felt like I stumbled through my answers and felt very inadequate compared to my competition - all the young, current, recent SLP grads. My analogy is that I was the old broad on Survivor - you know, the one with the great work ethic and the one everyone loves, but she gets voted out first.

The numbers are this: 130ish applicants, 75 were called for interviews, approximately 20 will be accepted.

Faced with those sobering stats, we went to meet the current grad students. I was told great news - anyone in this program who wants a graduate assistanceship can get one. So now that I feel like I totally blew the interview, I just figured out how to pay for grad school. Wonderful!

Now we wait. Mid to late March they said. Once March 15th passed, I find myself stressing every time the phone rings. Its worse than being on call for a doula client. Heck, I am on call for a doula client right now, but this is stressing me more.

And the last thing to note, I kept waiting to hear from West GA and struggling to get back into their online app status system. I finally called today and found they didnt have my transcripts or 2 letters of rec. Grrr on the letters, I certainly nagged my letter writers enough. But the transcripts? Sure they were in my maiden name, but I also included a copy of my app with both names on it. It should not have been hard to match them up. So that option is out. All my eggs are now in the GSU basket. I wasnt thrilled about the distance to West GA anyway, but I did like having 2 chances.

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely not alone in feeling like the "old broad" LOL. Up until a couple years ago in my vocational work I was seen as a "spring chick." Now suddenly I am becoming the seasoned one in my ministry, and applying for grad school alongside all these kids in their final year in college...whoah! I had no idea thirty was so old!! Oh my lordy!

    ReplyDelete