Saturday, April 3, 2010

Down but not out

As I ponder my rejection, I find I agree more and more with their decision. I did call the Dept head about taking some pre-reqs at GSU and she left me a message, also telling me to get out and observe SLPs in a variety of settings. I can see now that while I focused on the academics and the nuts and bolts of the application, I definitely didnt focus enough on the career of an SLP as a whole. I know I want to work in a school setting, I know I want to work with kids and I do have a variety of experiences with SLPs in that setting due to my own children's needs. But I dont have first hand knowledge of what SLPs do with adults, in hospitals, with newborns, etc.

That said, I am totally stoked about the online second bachelors I am embarking on. I will be taking the first 2 classes this summer as a non-degree seeking student - basically an intro to SLP class and an anatomy class. In the fall, I will hopefully get into the degree program and will take 4 classes. One of which is specifically designed to help with the grad school application, as it requires you to (weekly?) observe a SLPs in a variety of clinical settings and write summery reports. I really think that, plus the committment exhibited by the pursuing the 2nd bachelors will make my application look great next year!

Plus the idea of easing back into academia gradually and online is very appealing to my otherwise chaotic life.

Down, but not out!

3 comments:

  1. I actually think it all sounds exciting and fantastic, even your analysis of the school's decision...they are giving you some good clues to how you can make sure you are successful as you continue this path.

    I am having the opposite program, doubting myself at every turn as I come to realize that next fall, I'll be in full academic mode again. Will I be able to move back to the academic life smoothly enough? Can I keep up with the younger, energetic students who have no big responsibilities outside of school? Do I really have what it takes? Why did they accept me anyway...are they nuts?!?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. opposite problem, of course...sorry...it's nearly 3am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, going through my blog bookmarks...

    Have you registered for your classes yet? You can register before you pay, so get yourself registered if you haven't. I don't want you to miss out!

    ReplyDelete