Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Did worse today

Crammed in a math practice while 2/3 sick kids were napping. I am sure my brain is addled from the chaos. Two problems were definitely ones that I made silly errors on, some were complete wtf questions, some were ones that I realized my mistakes after review (several surface area Qs).

But one just really made me mad. It was essentially...

Joe collects bottles. He has 1374 bottles he purchased at $1.79 and 690 bottles he purchased for $1.27. What is the average cost of the bottles?


Sure, fine...multiple the quantity x price for both sets and then divide by the total quantity. But really...4 digits x 3 digits and then 6 digits divided by 4 digits???

I realize I live in a calculator age and my long division skills are lacking, but I timed myself after the test (I skipped it during the practice) and I was pushing 5 mins and still hadn't solved it before my son needed my attention. That's way too much time to expect to spend on one problem on a timed test where each problem is allotted approx 2 mins.

I hope I don't see anything like that on test day. If so, for shame GRE people. For shame!

Off to see if I can redeem myself with the verbal portion.

ETA: WOW! Best verbal score yet: 690. Combined with my less than impressive math score from earlier (560), it puts me over 1200. Getting there. Major math cram this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment