Saturday, November 7, 2009

Took a break from GRE prep

And made a first attempt at a Statement of Purpose, otherwise known as the admission essay or goals statement. Grad School lingo uses the abbreviation SOP, so I'll stick with that.

From the admission info at GSU:

A 300-500 word statement of your professional/career goals completed on the online application. This is your opportunity to explain how your career and educational goals are compatible with those of the program to which you are applying.


I've been composing this in my head while in the car for weeks. However, once I set fingers to the keyboard...wow it was much harder. How does one simultaneously (and briefly) yammer on about how great they are, minimize their faults, explain away gaps and multiple major changes while declaring what they want to be when they grow up at the tender age of 36, without sounding like a complete tool.

I think I will be going back to solving "John left Detroit at 10am, going 45mph..." problems.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the ones I compose in my head sound great until translated to paper. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete