Monday, November 2, 2009

The Who

I am 36 years old, I graduated with my business degree in 1996, after changing my major a few times. I bounced from Biology/Pre-med to Theater, to Social Science and finally settled on Business Mgmt as the safe, employable major. It served me well since I graduated right as the internet was a wee tadpole, just sprouting its tail, before we all realized how vital it was to know what our high school valedictorian was planning to watch after she ate her dinner of lentils and homemade bread. I found my way to database reporting and enjoyed being a pseudo-techie, until the birth of my first child threw all of my former priorities out the window.

He was a challenging child, complete with an autism diagnosis and a few medical issues to keep up on our toes, who didnt like any of the childcare situations we tried. Trust me, we tried them all. So I left the work force when he was 4 and went ahead and had a couple more children to keep life interesting.

Once we realized that my hopes and aspirations of such luxeries like no debt, a finished basement and travel to different continents were not compatible with single income living, I decided to look into re-entering the work force.

Unfortunately, in those 4 years of child bearing and raising, while my database skills were becoming as obsolete as a corded phone, the economy tanked and I was competing for a job with all those people who had current skills.

Which leads me to The What.

No comments:

Post a Comment