Monday, November 2, 2009

The Why

Once I realized my business degree and my prior work skills were not going to land me a job, I realized that I should consider going back to school. Not to mention, everywhere on the internet, I was being told that "Obama wants moms to go back to school!" and when the POTUS speaks, I listen!

I considered the jobs that offered what I valued...flexible scheduling, good hiring prospects, interesting work and decent pay. I considered teaching and nursing, both appealing to me for different reasons. I love science and human anatomy and would love to work in a clinical setting. A job that would coincide with my children's schedule also appealed to me. Which is how I set upon Speech/Lang Pathology. I think its a job I will enjoy, its less strenuous than nursing (which is important since I will be 40 when I graduate, as opposed to a peppy 23 yr old) and there are many options for flexible hours, including working in a school setting, hospital, nursing home, private practice, etc. I also feel like I have some knowledge of the world of special needs, as the parent to a special needs child.

No comments:

Post a Comment